NSW just rolled out updates for the 491 Visa! Here is everything you need to know –
NSW nomination for this visa enables skilled migrants to work, study and live in regional areas of NSW for a total of 5 years. There are two pathways to NSW nomination for this visa –
1. Pathway 1: Direct Application - Apply directly to Investment NSW if you have an established
work history with a regional NSW – based employer.
2. Pathway 2: Be invited to apply by Investment NSW - Candidates selected by Investment
NSW based on the need for their skill in NSW.
(Note – NSW Nomination for the 491 visa under ‘Pathway 2’ is extremely competitive, which is why the NSW Government strongly encourages skilled migrants considering ‘Pathway 2’ to also consider other migration pathways listed on the Home Affairs website, for a higher chance of entry.)
To be considered for the NSW nomination (at a minimum), you must meet the following criteria:
- Visa eligibility – you must meet all visa requirements highlighted by Home Affairs for the 491 visa.
- Skill assessment – you must have a valid skills assessment in an occupation listed on the skilled occupation list for this visa.
- Residency – you must be residing in either:
- In NSW and have continuously resided in NSW for a minimum of 3 months, or
- Offshore and have continuously resided offshore for a minimum of 3 months.
Important Steps for Securing NSW Nomination –
To apply directly for NSW Nomination under ‘Pathway 1’, you must:
- Check Eligibility: Prior to submitting your EOI in SkillSelect, you must ensure both the visa and NSW nominations meet the requirements.
- Submit your EOI: If you successfully meet the criteria, you must submit an EOI in SkillSelect (specifically requesting NSW nomination for this visa (491) only).
- Apply for Nomination: Next step is to apply for NSW nomination using an online application form.
- Wait for your Nomination Assessment: The application submitted will be assessed within 6 weeks after payment.
To apply directly for NSW Nomination under ‘Pathway 2’, you must:
- Check Eligibility: Before submitting your EOI in SkillSelect, please ensure you meet both the visa & NSW nomination requirements.
- Submit your EOI: If you successfully meet the criteria, you are required to submit an EOI in SkillSelect (specifically requesting NSW nomination for this visa only). If you are invited to apply, you’ll be required to support every point claimed in your EOI with valid documentation.
- Be Invited: NSW holds invitation rounds ongoing throughout the financial year. All EOIs that meet the guidelines are considered, but preference is only given to occupations in NSW target sectors. (NOTE – due to high competition, it is recommended for each skilled migrant to consider ALL other migration pathways as a means for entry).
- Respond ASAP if Invited: Once an invitation is sent, you’ll ONLY have 14 days to complete your application. When you apply, you’ll be required to display valid documents to prove every claim made in your EOI. This 14-day window will NOT be extended.
- Wait For Your Nomination Assessment: Your application will typically be assessed within six weeks after payment.
Important Information for Healthcare Professionals:
Prior to submitting your EOI in SkillSelect, it is important to ensure that you have the appropriate skills assessment required by the Department of Home Affairs. Many skills-
assessing authorities offer assessments that allow foreign works to practice in Australia (NOTE – these may differ from the skills assessment required for migration purposes). If you have any questions or concerns regarding the updates of the 491 visa or correct skills assessment required, please reach out and contact IME Advisors!