- An Australian partner visa entitles married and de facto (opposite and same sex) partners of Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens to enter and/or remain in Australia.
- Although, there are three major subclasses for partner visa, this visa is broadly divided into two categories: Prospective Marriage visa and Partner visa. The type of visa for which you should apply depends on the type of relationship you are in.
Subclass Partner Visa
- Applicants can apply for a partner visa from either inside or outside Australia and are required to meet specific requirements before the visa can be granted. An Australian Spouse visa is initially granted as a temporary visa. After two (2) years, the relationship is reassessed and if deemed genuine, a permanent visa will be granted.
- If you are in Australia, you are eligible to apply for Partner Temporary Visa (Subclass 820) and Permanent visa (subclass 801). You can apply for this visa to stay in Australia with your partner, who must be an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen. If the relationship is genuine and still on even after the two years of the application of this visa, you can be granted a permanent visa.
- If you are outside Australia: Partner Temporary Visa (Subclass 309) and Permanent Visa (Subclass 100): You can apply for this visa to enter and stay in Australia with your partner, who must be an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen. A continuous and genuine relationship for two years after the application of this visa, can grant you a permanent visa.
Assessment of Partner visa by Immigration is done on the four pillars of relationship which include:
- Financial aspects of relationship
- Social aspects of relationship
- Household of relationship
- Commitment of relationship
Perspective marriage visa (subclass 300)
- This visa allows people to come to Australia to marry their fiancé. It is granted for 9 months and applicant needs to marry fiancé in the 9 months.