- Express entry is a program run by Canadian Federal government to attract highly skilled worker all around the world and grant them permanent residency in Canada.
- Express Entry is used to manage applications for permanent residence under these federal economic immigration programs:
- The Federal Skilled Worker Program,
- The Federal Skilled Trades Program,
- The Canadian Experience Class.
- Different provinces and territories can also recruit candidates from the Express Entry system through their Provincial Nominee Programs to meet their local labour market needs based on their specific requirements.
The Express Entry system has two steps:
1. Complete an online Express Entry profile
- Potential candidates will complete an online Express Entry profile. This is a secure form that they will use to provide information about their:
- work experience,
- language ability,
- education, and
- other details that will help to assess them.
- You’ll be ranked in the Express Entry pool using a points-based system. Your score is based on the information in your profile as mentioned above.
- Those who meet the criteria of one of the federal immigration programs listed above will be accepted into a pool of candidates.
- If you meet the entry criteria for the Express Entry pool, you are not guaranteed an invitation to apply for permanent residence. All applicants for permanent residence also need to meet eligibility and admissibility requirements under Canada’s immigration law (Immigration and Refugee Protection Act).
2. The highest-ranking candidates in the pool will be invited to apply for permanent residence
- Candidates will be ranked against others in the pool using a point-based system called the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS). Points are awarded using the information in their profile.
- Candidates with the highest scores in the pool will be issued an invitation to apply. Candidates will be awarded points for:
- a job offer, and/or
- a nomination from a province or territory, and/or
- skills and experience
- Language skills
- These additional points can make a candidate rank high enough to be invited to apply at the next eligible round of invitations.
- If someone is invited to apply, they will have 90 days to submit an online application for permanent residence.
- Citizenship and Immigration Canada will process the majority of complete applications (meaning those with all the necessary supporting documents) in six months or less.
- Candidates can stay in the pool for up to 12 months. If they do not get an invitation to apply for permanent residence within 12 months of submitting an Express Entry profile, they may submit a new profile. If they still meet the criteria, they can re-enter the pool.