- A Professional Year Program is a structured professional development program combining formal learning and workplace experience for international students who have graduated from a university in Australia. Professional Year Programs typically is for 12 months and is currently available in the fields of Accounting, Computer Science and Engineering.
- Professional Year Programs are primarily designed for students wishing to apply for permanent residency in Australia. They allow students to develop industry-specific skills through study and work experience, preparing them for professional careers in the Australian workforce. The Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) only recognises Professional Year Programs that have been approved by the government.
Why should you complete a Professional Year Program
Completing a Professional Year has a number of benefits:
- You are eligible to receive five extra points for your PR.
- You earn valuable work experience in an Australian company through an internship.
- You are able to improve your understanding of the culture and practices within the Australian workplace.
- You learn how to communicate in a professional manner within the Australian workplace.
Who is eligible for a Professional Year Program
- You will need to have completed a degree in accounting, computer science or engineering (or a closely related area) in Australia. You must hold a Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485), which allows you to remain in Australia for 18 – 24 months after the completion of your degree. Engineering graduates who completed their degree at a recognised institution outside Australia with a positive skill assessment form Engineers Australia and holding a 476 visa (Skilled-Recognised Graduate visa) are also eligible for an Engineering Professional Year.